Minnesota family physicians believe everyone should have a medical home. Better for Minnesota healthcare – Better for Minnesotans.
What is a Medical Home?
A medical home is not an actual concrete structure like a house or building. Instead, it’s an approach to providing primary healthcare to patients.
Having a medical home means:
- You have a relationship with a doctor or group of doctors who know you and your family
- You rely on a clinic or clinic system to coordinate all of your medical care in a timely manner – from regular check-ups to specialized treatment
- Your clinic utilizes health information technology so that your records are accurate and easily accessible to all of those involved with your care
- Your care is comprehensive and considers the “big picture”
- Your care is consistent with your needs and values
Benefits of a medical home:
- Improves health and provides better patient outcomes
- Lowers the overall cost of services within the healthcare system as a whole
- Provides patients seamless and timely access to care
- Allows for trusting relationships between patients and doctors
- Greater satisfaction for patients and physicians
- Care that fits a patient's personal values